I love scrubs. Just the feeling after you use one and get out of the shower is AMAZING (unless you have fallen or slipped a few times beforehand)! I have been infatuated with scrubs since I was a teenager. I would use them on my face everyday and then a friend (who is also an esthetician) told me that using a scrub that often actually makes my oily skin more oily (who would’ve thunk?).
I also did not realize it, but many of the mainstream body scrubs for your face and body, have a ton of chemicals in them. For example, here is a list of the ingredients for Amber Blush Golden Sugar Scrub.
Good lord! I can’t even pronounce those names so I am pretty sure they are no good. 🙂 Plus a bottle or tub of this stuff is around $16! No thanks!
I have a super simple recipe to make your own body scrub and it barely costs a thing. Brown sugar is an amazing ingredient and has so many great benefits:
1. Makes your face and body feel so smooth
2. Your skin glows, literally it does! When you exfoliate you get rid of dead skin and the body just glows 🙂
3. Sugar is also full of natural glycolic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, that will encourage turnover and help create younger skin. This will help condition and moisturize but also protect the skin from toxins.
4. Sugar is a humectant (draws moisture from the environment to your skin) and will moisturize and keep moisture in. Then when you add olive oil into the mix it will moisturize even more
5. Brown sugar is much gentler on the skin. So if you have sensitive skin this is for you. Also, women with dandruff-prone scalps find that scrubbing prior to washing makes for healthier hair.
So, on with my recipe!
Homemade Brown Sugar Face & Body Scrub
2 C. brown sugar (packed)
1 C. olive oil
20-30 drops of essential oils
Take all ingredients and combine into a bowl. Stir.
Scoop into your jars, add a label, some twine and you are done!
This recipe will fill two 8-ounce mason jars, plus a tiny amount left over for you. 🙂 I love Jasmine, Lavender & Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemon, and Wintergreen.
The fun part is that you can mix and match and continuously try new combinations. This scrub only costs about $2.76 (excluding oils). I bought a 12-pack of mason jars at Target for $6.79 (20% off cartwheel coupon, regularly $8.79). The brown sugar was on sale for $2.99/2 lbs (4 1/2 cups) and the olive oil was from Big Lots for $6.50 (3 1/2 c).
I did not buy organic brown sugar, but made sure that was the only ingredient. Same with the olive oil. Not organic but cold pressed. I already had the oils, labels (can print the design free off of avery.com), and twine.
I mainly use this as my face scrub once a week. From time to time I do use it as a whole body scrub, but not often since I forget to tell the rest of my family and then end up all falling in the shower – oops!
These make awesome teacher, mom, and co-worker Christmas gifts too!