There are only a few more months of school left…..thank goodness! I am trying to keep up with some new, healthy, and edible lunch options for my oldest. I like to spice things up!
We do have to keep his lunch nut free (even though no one in the class has a nut allergy) and I personally like to make sure we lay off as much sugar as possible. Thinking about it, I should probably get a personal Thank You note from his teachers for that consideration! 🙂
So, to help with these new ideas, I subscribe to one of my most fav food bloggers and typically modify her ideas that she sends out each week. By modify, I basically cut down on the sugar and add dairy. My husband thinks that dairy makes everything taste better (whatever).
Recently, I saw these gluten-free, vegan chocolate chip muffins. I just had to try them. And let me tell you…..they are amazing!
I did end up tweaking the recipe by reducing the amount of sugar and making it non-vegan, AKA adding milk and eggs. Even though there is chocolate in there, it’s actually healthier than you would think! Seriously.
I prefer to use these chocolate chips. They only have 2 ingredients, not much sugar, and are actually great if you have an allergy. They are nut, dairy, and soy free. I started buying this brand years ago when my youngest had some crazy food allergies, which he has since grown out of.
But, let’s also be honest, it really just makes me feel better about eating half the bag while I am baking. Since chocolate has antioxidants and I cannot drink as much red wine while being pregnant with our third, dark chocolate will just have to do!
For the gluten-free flour blend, here is the one I typically use. Bob’s is a great brand across the board!
All-in-all, these gluten-free chocolate chip muffins are super easy, healthy, and obviously gluten-free. Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 C applesauce
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 C melted coconut oil
- 1/4 C milk
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 C + 2 1/2 Tbsp gluten-free flower blend
- 1/4 C gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 C almond flour
- 1/3 C chocolate chips, plus more to top
- 1. Preheat over to 375. You can line the muffin pans with paper liners or just coat with coconut oil.
- 2. Add the eggs, applesauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Whisk together.
- 3. Stir in the coconut oil and milk. Whisk again.
- 4. Add the cocoa powder, GF flour, oat flour, almond flour and whisk together. The batter should be pretty thick.
- 5. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter in each muffin tin and top with a few more chocolate chips (optional).
- 6. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes.