So, what to do with all of those Christmas Cards that you just received in the mail? Donate them! Yes, you can donate your Christmas Cards to St Jude’s Ranch for Children. They help abused and at-risk children, young adults, and families by providing resources and education for them to build a new life.
They are located in NV and TX and were founded in 1967. Their Recycled Card Program, is actually an entrepreneurial teen-run job training program. It helps to teach and provide employment skills so they are prepared once they hit the job market and leave the ranch.
I have sent cards to them for over 5 years now. My family receives so many cards for the holidays, birthdays, and thank you’s. I keep some of the very sentimental ones, but I always hate throwing out the rest. This is a great program to donate to and it only costs a few dollars to ship them out.
It is super easy to donate your cards:
- Just send in the front of the card and make sure there is no writing on the back
- They do not accept Hallmark, Disney or American Greeting cards 🙁
- They prefer 5″ x 7″ size or smaller, but I am sure any will do
- The least expensive way to ship them is by using a USPS (United States Post Office) Flat Rate Box (available at your local Post Office), which holds up to 70 pounds. I also just use a large manila envelope and ship them out once a year. Since I don’t have that many cards that is the least expensive option for me.
Then just mail them to:
St. Jude’s Ranch for Children
Recycled Card Program
100 St. Jude’s Street
Boulder City, NV 89005
They will then take the front of your card, attach a new back, and voilà, you have a new “green” card made by children and volunteers. They are in need for Birthday and Thank You cards currently, but update their site regularly to let you know what they are in need of.
You can purchase their cards online or by calling 877-977-SJRC. I have not bought any cards from them as I am actually not a big fan of cards (as a kid, when they were given with a gift, I absolutely hated reading them out loud to everyone, just agonizing). I love to send a nice hand written thank you or special occasion card. 🙂 For Christmas I lean more towards the photo card option (did not do that this year though – no time). But, if I was a big card person, I would definitely order from them from time to time.
They sell their cards in packs of 10 for $17.00 (includes shipping) and they have the following available:
- General Christmas Cards
- Religious Christmas Cards
- Easter Cards
- Birthday Cards
- Thank You Cards
- All-Occasion Blank Greeting Cards
This is just a great “green” option to recycle those cards and have them repurposed in a great way! I also recycle the backs of the cards too. So, another, win-win!